Wednesday, January 31, 2007

I was reading an article in Bust about Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore and their marriage. I've been obsessing over my old Sonic Youth music lately, having forgotten it for years and years. The music and the article reminded me of my old college friends, Tom and Victoria. They were in a Boston punk band called Showcase Showdown and now, apparently, are in a band called the SPiTZZ. I also went to junior high and high school with Victoria. I have a picture of us vamping it up as Solid Gold dancers hanging on my Fridge of Shame. I haven't kept in touch with these guys really, but I like to keep them in mind. They were married in full costume on Halloween in a Catholic church. Admirable. They are 35-36 and are still playing loud obnoxious music. Kudos. Victoria is also a doctor, I think, maybe a pediatrician. Amazing. I don't know if they still love each other, but at least in this picture from a few years ago they seem to be having fun. Hallelujah.
Sean and I won't marry ("Nobody wants to see that" as Doug Stanhope says) but I like the way my punk rock friends and my punk rock idols have made their own rules and somehow thrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment