Tuesday, January 09, 2007


Last January, Joe and I were the first ones on this beach one morning. It's a small spot at the base of the Mayan Ruins in Tulum. It was early enough that the water was a bit warmer than the air. The OCEAN was warmer than the air. I often forget that oceans can be for swimming. It was something I once knew and have forgotten. Sometimes I see people in the water on the Oregon coast and I think they must have a disease that prevents them from feeling the bitter pins and heart-stopping pain. That is, I used to think that until I saw a story about this woman who swam for 30 minutes in the waters of Antarctica. I find this form of extremism interesting. What kind of person craves an identity as "the only person to . . ." especially when the thing they are doing benefits nobody and brings them close to death? It's all very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment