Saturday, July 28, 2007




First there was Vicki who got out of the country and married a Hungarian soon after college. This September, Lynda will marry Todd. In October, Sally will marry Joe. And with that, all my dear friends from back in the day (the pimply, angst-ridden day) will be hitched. Back then, we were too busy being artsy and tromping around the cemetery to have any kind of fantasy wedding discussions. But I guess these things sneak up on you.

There must be a portion of the teenage population that dreams of white dresses and fancy cakes (and perhaps hot naked grooms) but it's a dream that I didn't understand then and still don't understand now. It's like my lack of baby lust. I was born without the gene that makes me crave such things. Maybe I'm missing out on something or maybe I'm saving myself and everyone I know from a horrible horrible fate.

Still, I'm truly happy for my friends. I find it amazing that we each found our way out and into the world and did it with a bit of grace. I'm happy that we each found a place to sit and a person to sit with.

3 comments:

  1. Yup. I don't have the wedding gene either. White dress white sticky cake too many relatives too much obedient smiling? Ixnay. Although I don't mind going to other folks weddings, if the food and booze are plentiful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linera. It's always nice to know I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it took me long enough. I don't have the gene either, but turns out my mom does, so I gotta please the lady.

    But my dress is gonna be real pretty! However, I most certaintly won't look like a princess. So rest assured.

    You ladies probably just saved yourselves a shitload of cash, if nothing else. It's SHOCKING how much money people will take you for when you mention wedding. SHOCKING!

    Wanna buy a used car? Trade one for my dress after the wedding! It costs more than the blue book value of my car. For reals.

    Anyway, Tbird, you gonna get to hold some damn flowers and walk down just the teeensiest smallest bit o' an aisle, so get ready!

    ReplyDelete