Thursday, November 30, 2006


This a hanging bowl by Portland artist Carol Lebreton. She makes beautiful plates and bowls and wild rattling animals and plant pods all out of clay and magic. I bought this bowl for my sister even though I'm pretty sure I like it a lot more than she will. I try to support local artists when I can, especially around the holidays. It can be a challenge when it comes to buying for my relatives. My family has a fairly conservative, waspy aesthetic. I go to holiday craft and art fairs and everything is way too funky or retro or has too many pop culture references or is made out of felt. No matter how cute, useful or durable it may be, nobody in my family is going to be happy about a gift made of felt unless it's made by my four year old nephew.

I still say SHOP LOCAL even if it makes your family think you're weird. They probably think that anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment