Monday, October 23, 2006

A condo complex is being built down the street and I've found it fascinating to watch how something as complex as this comes into being. I can't even find a stud in my wall in order to nail up a picture so this whole thing seems a lot like magic, particularly because at any given moment it seems like most of the workers are just standing around oggling the women walking by on the street.

I was at a meeting early in the year when some of the business owners in the area were upset that the condo was going to look like this:
I'm not particularly fond of it and, yes, it's a lot bigger than anything around it but the main complaint was that it would ruin the feel of the street. There are all sorts of things that ruin the feel of the street. There is a 7-Eleven next door to this condo-to-be and the building across the street looks like this:I'd say the ranting drunks, the broken bottles, the fluttering garbage and the mean hippies rank far higher on the list of things that detract from what we like to call "The Boulevard of Broken Dreams" than a cookie-cutter condo. Perhaps the street will feel a little less broken with a fancy glass building on it, maybe not. Either way, this street's got a long way to go before it loses its grit or "character" as they say. Stay tuned for my thoughts on my theory of how The Dixie Mattress Company is keeping Belmont from rising to its full hoity/hipster aspirations. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment