Friday, May 25, 2007


It seems like ages since I taught a Write Around Portland workshop. Last night we had a reading for the Spring Workshop participants. It was good to see my people and watch them defy the trembling in their hands in order to stand in front of a crowd of 200+ people and read their words. Predictably, those that I've come to think of as the angry troublemakers (as opposed to the talkative troublemakers) came, read their work and left without even making eye contact with me. Oh well.

One of the facilitators spoke about how he'd become a habitual thief of bravery at these readings and in the workshops. There was, indeed, a palpable sense of accomplishment and courage in the room. Removed from the chaos and hard work of facilitating, I found that spark that initially drew me to this organization. I left the reading with half a dozen ideas and bits of language eager for the page. The world became illuminated, in neither flattering nor harsh light, but in the temporary glow of a community collected, imperfect and hopeful.

This is a picture of Jared Lund who showed up at every workshop filled with patience, grace and an open mind. His poem and artwork are in the new anthology, Called to Speak Stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment