Monday, February 19, 2007


What is happening to me? I am facilitating a writing workshop and now I've gone and joined a book club for writers. I was actually picked up by a stranger and driven to SW Portland or Hillsdale or some such impossible place where I sat in another stranger's home and talked to a whole circle of even more strangers. And my heart never got nervous. And I was interested most of the time in what these people had to say. If I keep up at this pace I will either be running for public office or leading some grassroots campaign by the end of the year. Or not.

We read local author, Martha Gies' book, Up All Night, about night workers in Portland. I didn't love it, though it was an entertaining read and a good reminder to me that offices, schools and restaurants are not the only job options for my characters. The work itself can be fascinating, if presented the right way. Sitting with a group of serious writers was also a good reminder that I need to take myself more seriously. My secret competitive streak rises despite never having read anything by any of these people and I think, "All they have on me is dedication. If I get me some of that I'll be able to blow them all away." I think this and I laugh and still I try very hard to believe it is true.

1 comment:

  1. I'll believe on your behalf until the truth of your talent is an unavoidable fact that you wear proudly...

    xo
    J

    ReplyDelete