Monday, February 09, 2009

Shirley Hazzard is my hero


Though it feels like I've been wild about her for years, I haven't raved about Shirley Hazzard enough, not here at least. Back in grad school, I resisted her despite a trusted source insisting she was worth the struggle. But the struggle presented by Transit of Venus was too much. I put it down after a handful of pages.

Years later, after easing my way in to Hazzard's world via her early novel Bay of Noon then falling in love with her most recent, The Great Fire, I returned to the difficult middle and found reward. She is not an easy read. Her sentences are dense, her structure complex and the characters are hers to control not ours to relate to. But I have never been so in awe of a book, sentence by sentence, for the precision of its observations. There isn't a single lazy word here.

So read it slowly. Read it twice. She is truly a master.

Here is a description, early in the book, of Ted Tice who has just arrived as a guest in this home and is awaiting the host:

In the fireplace, below the vacant grate, there was a row of aligned fragments, five or six of them, of toasted bread smeared with a dark paste and dusted with ashes.

He was used to the cold and sat as much at his ease as if the room had been warm. He could not physically show such unconcern in the presence of others because the full-grown version of his body was not quite familiar to him; but was easy in his mind, swift and unhurried. From all indications, his body had expected some other inhabitant. He supposed the two would be reconciled in time–as he would know, in time, that the smeared toast was there to poison mice and that Tom was the cat.

1 comment:

  1. Tracey... I had the same trouble with SH... I started with Great Fire... which I stalled out on... and recently decided to move back into my "to be read soon" pile... although I didn't get too far in the book... I was disappointed that I put it down. I'm glad to hear that she made such an impact on you. I will say that Great Fire has perhaps the worst book jacket on the planet. Looking at the front cover... it looks like the book is titled, "Eat Fire Hazzard" because of the full dust cover printing... blah. But that wouldn't have kept me from reading, right? I don't know. But I'll get to her soon after finishing my newest immersion into Proust. Stupid Proust and his stupid long sentences.

    ReplyDelete