Tuesday, January 13, 2009

This picture offers no evidence of all the somber and ragged humanity I encountered yesterday on my journey out into the world, though this view did provide some balm when I got back to my neighborhood.

Working out of my house in a rainy winter town without a car makes for a sheltered existence. I seem to be particularly housebound this year. Yesterday I had to go to downtown Portland for a dentist appointment and felt snagged if not shocked by all the people moving through their lives. Not that the Street of Shattered Hopes and Thwarted Dreams (Hawthorne Ave.) doesn't have its share of raw desperation, but something about being downtown really overwhelmed. It's a good thing I don't go down there often because I ended up shelling out a bunch of money to people: a man picking half-eaten egg rolls out of the garbage, the Street Roots guy selling his paper, and a performer desperate enough to paint himself silver and stand statue still outside the mall in the middle of a Monday.

Add to that the grumps on light rail, the old Chinese man slapping his knees violently at a bus stop and the high school girl sent to crawl between the wet, prickly bushes and chain link fence to get the shot put she threw there, the boys on the other side of the bushes having a laugh at her expense.

A good rattling for the stagnant loop of my winter days.

4 comments:

  1. This was a beautiful post!

    Hmm, going to Portland State forces me to be downtown all the time, and I gotta say, this post really struck home.

    Where was the shot put being thrown?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment.
    Nothing like a few rich jocks at Lincoln to refresh the memories of my teenage sports phobias.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To think that I encountered your smiling visage that fateful day...

    I always used to have a pet name for Burnside: Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

    In Portland, they are legion...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful photo, Tracy. Reading your post, I got to thinking that downtown strikes me strangely these days too. I used to be such a downtown girl--nothing phased me. Now I'm sheltered. I suppose that's okay as long as I don't get to be one of those people who walks around with a distasteful look on their faces when they DO encounter ragged humanity.

    ReplyDelete