Monday, March 05, 2007


This is the Belmont Market, once known as the 365. One of the clerks here was shot yesterday. He's in critical condition. I guess when you need the money, you need the money and if it happens to be 3:45 on a beautiful Sunday afternoon, then so be it. You pull out your gun and rob a store. And if the robbery goes wrong you shoot and dash away in your not-so-low-profile orange sports car. Fuck.

I know this shit goes on all the time, but it's weird when it happens on a corner that I pass by almost daily. There must have been tons of hipsters hanging out at Stumptown across the street. It's such a neighborhood-y area that this kind of violence feels particularly violating. Though, it seems as if there have been a few shootings in this neighborhood since I moved here. Didn't someone get shot behind the bar across the street many years ago? I'm not sure. I blame it all, everything, on The Dixie Mattress Company which is still "open" down the block. More on that tomorrow. Damn . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment