Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Sharing

I breath, not a sigh, but a giant exhalation of relief. For the last ten days we've been hosting a guest who has now left. My house is returned to me, with all its dusty corners and sweet, forgotten surprises, like this bouquet of euphorbia that's been sitting ignored in my front window. Now I can take photos of it without being questioned about my photography habits or my gardening habits. I no longer have to share my thoughts or my space.

I've been reminding myself repeatedly throughout our guest's stay, just how lucky we are. Ten days with an old acquaintance should be considered a gift, a chance to learn something new. We have plenty of room to share. We have plenty of food. But what about people who have to take in refugee relatives? What about people who have never known a couple square feet of private space?

I wonder if my love of solitude is something I was born with or if it's at least partially a product of having grown up with my own bedroom, a wide backyard and a sister who was equally uninterested in my company as I was with hers. Is there anyone in the insanely crowded cities of India or China who have the same hermetic longings but are forced to always share, to be perpetually in the presence of others? There are ways to adapt, I suppose. I'm just thankful that I don't need to find out what those are. Not yet, at least.

2 comments:

  1. Tracy!

    Nice to hear from you! Hope all is well--and the writing? Can't say I'm much further with mine...

    I totally get this post. TOTally.

    Still meeting with the gang.

    Catch you later! Lisa

    (Hawaii was pure vacation--unplanned, crazy...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, Tracy, sorry -- the system told me my first response didn't go through...but evidently it did. :-)

    ReplyDelete