Monday, November 02, 2009

Six hours and 3,466 words later

I wouldn't call my first day of Nanowrimo full of flow unless it was a flow of sticky honey. Still, I took the free hours and made a good show of it, pushing through to my first pile of words. I flailed around in the first paragraph for way too long and then eventually found a way in. The way in wasn't this photo, but when I found this photo on my computer this morning, I see that it will be today's portal.

So already, I find lesson one, which of course is a lesson I already know: Be open. Be receptive to the world's bright and brassy cues, as well as to its rhythms and subconscious ripples. I'd lost touch with this kind of openness with the work on my first novel, the plodding and plodding and plotting and plotting. The fun part is looking (but not looking) for connections and patterns in my life and my character's lives. The grind I'd made of my writing life simply wore out anything loose and ephemeral. Now I have a chance to get that back. Eyes open, but slightly lowered. Brain alert, but slightly dreamy.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard Bausch says: "At the end of the day, ask yourself: Did I write today? If the answer is yes, then no further questions." NaNoWriMo is great because it adds a gentle sort of pressure to this notion.

    BTW, this may be the second year in a row where I join NaNoWriMo already-in-progress. I need the daily deadline!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The deadlines are great and make sitting down to write so much less painful. Come join us!

    ReplyDelete