Monday, June 15, 2009

Summer is not quite officially here but it's busting out all over nonetheless. We pick salads out of the back yard and eat them on the patio while we watch the cat stalk the bamboo. We go down the street on our feet or on our bikes, happy to have the warm wind around us, the sun on our shoulders. I think about how different my life would be if I had to hop in the car to get anywhere and feel endlessly grateful for all the years I've been able to stroll the neighborhood. How different would my vision of the world be if my experience of it arrived as isolated points rather than continuous paths. I can't recommend it enough: Take a walk, ride a bike and watch the world slow down.

1 comment:

  1. Totally tangentially here, but this reminded me of being 12 and forced to play a boy in a production of "Carousel" because I had short hair. I was furious. But we had to sing that song that goes... "June is busting out all over!!" Still makes me shiver.

    ReplyDelete