Tuesday, April 14, 2009

On the radio this morning, I heard a worldwide call-in talk show focused on the topic of slowing down. More than half the people were happy with the quick pace of their lives and thought that to slow down would mean failure. A few people advocated for reading poetry in the sun or taking the time to cook a really good, really healthy meal, but most of them liked their quick paced lives, their busy schedules. For them, staying busy was equal to staying both happy and productive.

In my head, I argued that being productive doesn't have to be the key to happiness. And productive in what capacity? If I take the time to read a book, am I not being productive, albeit on a cerebral level? Isn't taking a walk and admiring the spring flowers productive for your health and well-being? I think so.

But here's the catch... I've been in such a funk lately because I haven't produced nearly enough writing. Despite what I said in my last post, I've been struggling to get the words down, though I've been trying. At every step I meet a hurdle if I'm lucky, an electric barbed wire fence if I'm not. This sticky, gummed-up story is driving me mad.

So maybe those people were right. I may not need to produce reports, resolutions or widgets but I need to produce something to feel my best, to feel like I'm something other than a receptacle for youtube videos and Netflix DVDs. My only solution is to ratchet down the expectations to an even slower pace and try to learn how to savor the drip...drip...drip onto the page.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post. Having a baby forces you to slow down sometimes to a glacial pace...but overall I take great pleasure in little walks, trips to the park, time spent eating food in the company of others and so on.

    I think productivity in terms of creative work is different--it's not really productivity in the way that say, working for a corporation is. It's keeping a flow going, opening enough windows to keep the light shining in on that particular story...

    You're doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts and encouragement, Jordan.

    ReplyDelete